Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Scottish Oatcakes - Easy Recipes for Dinner


I'm always looking for a fast and easy recipe idea come dinnertime! I'm not much of a gourmet cook either. Fancy recipes tend to take more time and often call for ingredients I've never heard of before. So let me share with you some of the tastiest, healthiest, quickest dinners I know - the Scottish and Highland oatcakes.

I like to flavor oatcakes like I would my meat. For example, if I want it to taste like Chicken Parmesan, I flavor it with my chicken or poultry seasonings and top it with spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese. My husband likes to use them as "veggie burgers" when we're out of ground beef. He'll flavor it with onion powder, garlic salt, Montreal Steak seasonings... you get the idea... and fries it like a hamburger.

Experiment with it! This is one of those recipes you really can't mess up too bad (unless the lid to your salt shaker isn't on very well). Anyway, here you go....

Scottish Oatcakes (my college survival meal!)
Prep time: less than 5 minutes
Cook time: 6-10 minutes

Ingredients:
1/3 cup instant oats
1 egg
salt, pepper, seasonings
your choice of sauce anc cheese (optional)

Directions:
Mix oats, egg and seasonings. Fry on medium-low heat until the top starts to buble like a pancake (about 3-6 minutes). Flip over and top with sauce and cheese if desired. Cover and cook until cheese melts (about 3-4 minutes). Serve!

Makes 1 serving.


Highland Oatcakes (a bit yummier and only takes a little more time)
Prep time: about 20 minutes
Cook time: about 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup finely ground instant oats (don't have finely ground? put your instant oats in the blender!)
2 cups flour (wheat or white is fine)
2 tsp baking powder
salt, pepper, seasonings
1 egg
water
your choice of sauce and cheese (optional)

Directions for BAKING:
Preheat oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit. In medium-sized bowl, sift dry ingredients together including seasonings. Mix in egg. Add water and mix until it becomes a pastey, thick dough. Separate dough into 8 rounds. Flatten to about 1 centimeter to 1/2 inch thickness. Place on a pre-greased cookie sheet and cook in oven for 10 minutes. Top with warmed sauce and cheese. Serve!

Directions for FRYING:
Fry in lightly greased pan on medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes, then flip. Top with sauce and cheese, then cook until cheese melts (about 3-4 minutes). Serve!

Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

AddThis Suggested Content